Sunday, September 4, 2011

Cracker Barrel




I'm not sure which I like best about the Cracker Barrel......the yummy food, or the gift shop that has so many vintage things. I used to get these little wax bottles filled with sweet syrup at the penny candy counter. Two for 1Cent. There are other things here as well that take me back to my childhood. I used to always tag along with my dad to the grocery store, and always asked for one penny to shop at the candy counter. My friend and I would walk to the store together to buy a little bag of candy for our sleep over on the back lawn. We could get a lot for five or ten cents! Times have certainly changed. No one would dare let the young kids walk to the store, no candy is available for under $1.00, and no one in their right mind would let kids sleep out on the grass under the stars by themselves! Come to think of it, eating candy in bed is not a good idea either! LOL. Anyway, I had a little spell of nostalgia at the Cracker Barrel last night, when I snapped this picture.

7 comments:

  1. We used to ride our bikes to the top of the street to get a bag full of candy at the penny store as well. I miss that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We used to get those peppermint sticks in the background when we went on road trips. It was a special treat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I remember those little wax bottles. Cracker Barrel is such a fun place just to wander and reminisce. Thanks for taking us back a few years.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We LOVE cracker barrel! Unfortunately, the nearest is almost an hour away, so it's definitely a treat to get to go-- I love your story behind your picture today...so true!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great shot! Just discovered Cracker Barrel a year or so ago when traveling in the south- I haven't seen one in California. Nice shot- captures the essence of Cracker Barrel!

    And I do remember the little wax bottle- we also had a little store down the street for penny candy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Cracker Barrel. We eat there every chance we get, and of course the kids are in awe of the candy area. I never thought to take a picture of it, but it's a great way to capture some of those old candy favorites that you don't see any more. My favorite as a kid were the Mallow cups. I bought one recently and funny thing was it didn't taste half as good as I remembered it did when I was a kid! So now I don't get them anymore and just remember the yummy memory when I see them there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Totally remember the wax bottles. Do you remember Razzles too?

    And when I was in first grade we used to walk from school to the pizza parlor for lunch BY OURSELVES. We'd also stop at the newsstand after and get a bag full of candy for less than $1.00. And this was in NYC. Nobody in their right minds would let 7 years olds walk around NYC like that now.

    ReplyDelete