Monday, May 2, 2011

Day 122 "Who Are You"

Last night, my Granddaughter, Danielle, called to ask if she could come over and make a mask that she needed today for her English class. She brought the feathers and the pearl string. I have a warehouse of craft supplies so she found everything else she wanted, and came up with this a couple of hours later. They were required to read the "classic" tale, "Lord of The Flies". Since the boys in that story painted their faces, the teacher came up with a game for the students to play and they needed masks. I am disappointed to see that the students are still required to read this garbage. Danielle's father and all of my other kids had to read it years ago too. I read it when my last two children complained so much about it. I also complained to the school at that time, and told them that I think they need to find another "classic" for required reading! Maybe "John Adams", or another great book. If any of you out there have a different take on this, I'd like to hear it.

9 comments:

  1. Love it, very similar to one I picked up in Venice a few years back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well the mask is very pretty -- and I'd love to peak into your craft supplies, too!

    I never read the book but saw part of the movie and found it disturbing. There's supposed to be a moral lesson in it but I agree that they can probably find replacement books to teach the same type of thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the mask, very pretty.

    I read the book in high school. I didn't like it. I understand the lesson being taught but yeah, there are probably better books to use.

    ReplyDelete
  4. pretty mask... although i have to say i never read the book either.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The mask came out beautiful!
    as far as the reading goes- I think that there should be a mix of some classics and some contemporary- that way students get a more well-rounded look at literature

    ReplyDelete
  6. One of the things Randi loved to do with my Mom was make crafts. Mom had a whole bank of drawers in her kitchen devoted to art supplies and would let Randi do whatever she wanted with them. I know she misses those days. I think it's wonderful that your granddaughter thought of you when she had to do this project and that you were just the right person to help her with it...and the mask came out beautiful!

    I think I read the book in HS, but I can't even remember what the moral lesson anymore, so I'm no help.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great photo. You are more then welcome to link to your blog each week with my project 365. If you would like.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful mask!! You must have some amazing craft supplies!!

    ReplyDelete